Here are just a few of the things we have been up to in the first days of school:
- "Make Something" Partner Challenge
- Presenting "Bags of Me" that express our interests, passions, and identities
- Developing our Reading Culture/Community through posting "Shelfies"
- Launching our Writing Notebooks with the histories of our names
- Sharing Read Alouds, including The Right Word, Si Se Puede, and Milo Speck
- Kickstarting Math instruction with collaborative, inquiry puzzles
Last, but not least, students spent the last couple of days working in small groups campaigning for their choice of our classroom's team name. After creating posters, presenting proposals, debating our preferences, and going through two rounds of anonymous voting, our class has chosen our official name for the year. It is… (drum roll…) … The Islanders! Be sure to ask your child what our classroom name means to them!
Hear, hear to QAE's Islanders and a fantastic 5th grade year!